Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Olympics

I am getting excited for the Olympics! Hopefully since I am not working I will be able to watch more day (taped delayed) coverage. I wasn't planning on watching the opening ceremony because it usually sucks, and involves some kind of bizarre modern dance skit, but I might this year.

Check out this article about the USA flag bearer, Lopez Lomong who will run the 1500. As a former lost boy of the Sudan, and a recent US citizen, his story is remarkable. Plus I think this is also a subtle (or not) show of support and awareness for the Darfur region by the athletes. China is one of the biggest arms dealers to the Sudan and thus is fueling the civil war. Even more interesting is the Chinese government denying a passport to Joey Cheek (speedskater and winter Olympic athlete) who is an activist on Darfur. Check out Team Darfur for more info.

Ahhhh, communists. Who will you try to silence next?

Once again I will plug the book "What is the What". Amazing.

Go Team USA!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

The Humane Society of the United States - Proud 2 Adopt
HSUS MySpace Page | Get This Badge

Stop Puppy Mills
HSUS MySpace Page |